Global Scammer Ban Project

Discussion in 'Declined Suggestions' started by Mr_Jacksonville, Mar 12, 2017.

Welcome to MCTrades, the modern Minecraft marketplace. Why not stay a while to chat, trade, and earn by registering?
  1. Mr_Jacksonville

EMERALD Thread Starter

Minecraft Accounts: Mr_Jacksonville
    Ratings:
    +3
    Global Scammer Ban Project

I have suggested this on LH, MCS, MCM, and MCT, and that is what I mean by "Global". If a scammer is banned from a forum of the four, his/her IP will be sent to the other forums, and all forums will IP ban that address. This helps to reduce the number of scammers found on these sites, also reducing the number of scam reports, making the life of staffs a lot easier.

Don't get it? Here's a scenario for you.

Peter gave a loan to Piper.
    Piper did not pay back the loan.
    Peter filed a scam report against Piper.
    Jack is a scam resolver on that site.
    Jack favored Peter, and banned Piper.
    Jack looks up the IP address of Piper, which is 0.0.0.0.
    Jack sends the IP, 0.0.0.0, to LH, MCS, MCM, and MCT.
    The forum staffs on there bans 0.0.0.0.
    Piper can never get onto those four forums again!

Status of This Projec
    t

LH - Pending
    MCS - Pending
    MCM - Pending
    MCT - Pending

2. Sick

Sick Yo I deepthroat ren
    EMERALD DIAMOND

Minecraft Accounts: Hippo Sick
    Ratings:
    +121
    I was banned on MCM. I would not like to get banned.
    This is kinda a bad idea.

3. buildblox

buildblox MCTrades Founder
    EMERALD

Minecraft Accounts: buildblox
    Ratings:
    +393
    You're talking about a scammer database. While I do like the idea, it completely shatters the fact that marketplaces like mine are meant to give users another chance.

I'll keep this open for now.

4. Zoxu

Zoxu Dedicated Trader

Ratings:
    +2
    I've had numerous friends falsely banned on other sites. This would just ruin their chances of continuing a freelance service due to the mistake of one site.

5. Sick

Sick Yo I deepthroat ren
    EMERALD DIAMOND

Minecraft Accounts: Hippo Sick
    Ratings:
    +121
    Wait was is LH?

6. Mr_Jacksonville

EMERALD Thread Starter

Minecraft Accounts: Mr_Jacksonville
    Ratings:
    +3
    Uh... I will PM you in a sec...

Anyways, buildblox, if they want a second chance, the forums who supports this idea can have a global ban appeal form. When banned users come on this forum, I assume there's a page that says, "Hey! You're banned!" blah blah blah. In that message, you can have a link to that ban appeal form. The mods and admins of the forums that supports this idea can decide whether or not to unban that person. It doesn't have to be a global unban. If the other forums don't accept it, and you do, you can unban that person. This is kind of different than having a database that people can just look at it.

Another option is, instead of banning the user, they can have a "known scammer" tag, if the site owners see the scam report as unbiased.

7. buildblox

EMERALD

Ratings:
    +393
    Well, creating a scammer database would require all forums to agree, not just mine (after all, it is user data, we can't just go on random forums and collect information). And knowing the decisions other forums have made in the past, I don't think that good-to-go will be heard for a while.

8. Jayson

Jayson Emerald
    EMERALD

Minecraft Accounts: Parse JaysonF
    Ratings:
    +160
    This in general simply won't work. Not only must multiple forums cooperate, but also share a single database or version of one.
    The most secure way to complete this is through version for each website instead of giving each site access. This would also mean a distribution system is required and each server needs their own database setup.​
    Forum staff sharing their data with others would not work at all, who would take the blame if one staff member did something wrong? Would this mean one person can ban site owners? Could this create a security exploit?
    IP addresses may also not always work. Virtual networks would become a big issue and exploit while it already is. If two users were to live near each other, a completely innocent user could be banned.​

9. Raze

Raze Diamond
    DIAMOND

Minecraft Accounts: TestSpigot
    Ratings:
    +11
    Seems like a pretty crappy idea to me tbh

10. Bumblewasp

Bumblewasp play.blurhq.com
    EMERALD

Ratings:
    +28
    I think for this to work there would have to be a professional 3rd party dealing with scam reports so that bans were consistent across the database.

This would be an expensive operation to get done correctly.

11. buildblox

EMERALD

Ratings:
    +393
    Looking through the responses, I think we can agree that this won't work.

Suggestion closed.